Using Fare Vending Machines
The best place to buy and add stored-value or to a Charlie Card. Use in-station fare vending machines to:
- Add stored-value to your Charlie Card
- Purchase and load a monthly pass to your Charlie Card
Use on-board, limited-use fareboxes to:
- Pay your fare (Instructions)
- Add stored-value to a Charlie Card (If re-charged on-line)
On-board fareboxes don’t have the full functionality of in-station fare vending machines. Riders can’t load a Pass or use credit or debit cards at the farebox.
The Ticket Vending Machine (TVM) offers a quick and easy way to purchase WRTA fares and passes. Using the TVM to purchase fares and passes prior to taking the bus can help speed up the boarding process. This section provides a brief description of the TVM as well as the accessibility features that can be utilized when using the TVM.
The Charlie Card is a quick, convenient, and secure way to use WRTA fixed-route services.
The Touch Screen
The touch screen can be found in the middle left portion of the TVM. You can make selections by interacting with the touch screen. The touch screen also displays information about your transaction. If you find it difficult to interact with the touch screen, audio instructions are available.
The Earphone Jack
Just below the lower left corner of the touch screen lies the earphone jack. When utilizing the audio function of the TVM, you can use the earphone jack to ensure your privacy when making a transaction. Please note that the audio function will work with or without the use of earphones.
The Numeric Keypad
Directly to the right of the touch screen is where the numeric keypad is located. You will need to use the numeric keypad to make selections when the audio function is used. You will also need to use the numeric keypad to enter your debit card PIN when using a debit card for payment.
The Credit/Debit Card Reader
The Credit/Debit Card reader can be found just above the numeric keypad. The credit/debit card reader is used to make credit/debit card transactions via the TVM. When inserting your card into the reader, make sure that the raised characters are facing the bottom of the card and to the left.
Tactile Orientation Line
To the right of the numeric keypad and credit/debit card reader, you will find a raised vertical line. This tactile line will help you find parts of the TVM that you will need in order to make a transaction.
The Coin Slot
At the top of this raised line, you will find the coin slot. The TVM accepts nickels, dimes,quarters, and $1 dollar coins.
The Card Target
As you follow the raised line going down, you will find text in print and Braille which reads “Card Target”. Raised arrows (located near the text) point directly to the card target. You will need to use the card target when making Charlie Card transactions.
The Bill Insert
As you continue to follow the raised line going down, you will find text in raised lettering and in Braille which reads “bills”. Raised arrows near the text point directly to the area where 1, 5, 10, or 20 dollar bills are inserted into the TVM. You will need to utilize the bill insert when making transactions using cash.
The Change Tray
As you follow the raised line to its end, you will find text in raised lettering and in Braille which reads “change”. The change slot is located to the left of the raised line.
Adding Value or Passes to Your Charlie Card
Simply tap your card on the orange card reader with the small green light.
Using the touch screen, select either “Add Value” or “Purchase Passes”. Following the instructions on the screen, select the amount of money you would like to add to your Charlie Card or, if the “Purchase Passes” option is selected, select a pass type.
Choose your payment method. The machines accept cash, credit or debit cards. Follow the on screen directions to complete your purchase.
Tap your card again on the card reader in order to recharge your card and complete the transaction.
Checking The Remaining Balance on a Charlie Card
Tap the card on the orange card reader.
Select the “Card Information” button. Your balance will appear on the screen.
Adding Value or Passes to Your Charlie Card (Using the Audio Function)
- Press the number 5 on the numeric keypad to activate the audio function.
- Use the raised tactile line (located to the right of the keypad) to locate the card reader.
- Tap your card onto the card reader.
- When prompted, select option #1 (to add value) or option #3 (to purchase passes).
- Follow the audio prompts to select the amount of money you would like to add to your card or to select a pass type.
- Use the audio prompts to select a payment method (cash, credit/debit card) and to pay for your transaction.
- Tap your card again on the card reader in order to recharge your card and complete the transaction.
Checking The Remaining Balance on a Charlie Card (Using the Audio Function)
To Check the remaining balance/information on your card at the fare vending machine:
- Press the number 5 key to activate the audio function.
- Tap the card onto the card reader or insert your Charlie Ticket into the ticket slot.
- Select the “Card/Ticket Information” option (option 4). The card′s balance and any passes you have on the card will be read to you. If you have a pass on your Charlie Card, the pass expiration date will also be read to you.